Movie Reviews

Friday, September 9, 2011

Apollo 18

      I seem to have pulled up to a labyrinthine "fork" in the road. Of course, physically, a crossroad seems to be much too simple to be considered a maze-like experience but when referring to one's resulting mental duress, it is nothing short of one. I am trying to determine whether I want to do one of two things. Should I talk about the jellyfish-shaped cloud structures that were aimlessly floating in the sky? Or, should I help you out in your quest for the perfect movie? Such a difficult choice! Actually, it's a no brainer. I only wrote this paragraph...Yes! You guessed it...to use the word "labyrinthine". 
      Who's up for a movie that will keep you gripped to the edge of your seat and strained with suspicion all the way till the end credits? Well, you won't do either one watching Gonzalo López-Gallego's "Apollo 18". I had to be blunt because I was given no other choice. Gallego hails from Madrid, Spain, and has racked up multiple Movie Festival awards and nominations for his movies: 2001-"Nomadas", 2003-"Sobre el Arco Iris", and finally his 2007-"El Rey de la Montana." Unfortunately, it looks as if this time around, he's going to be walking home empty handed.
      "Apollo 18" was an "account" of the experiences of two cosmonauts who found themselves questioning their purpose in a lunar mission. The word account was placed in parentheses due of the awkward style of shooting that was introduced into this film. At first, I believed that I was participating in a documentary-like production, however; minutes into the movie, documentary melted into what became an "account". The movie was basically a conglomeration of many different angled video recordings of the two astronauts and their surrounding area. To tell the truth, a large portion of the movie was just interference that these two characters faced in both their telecom and visual systems. In other words, I was staring at either a black screen or static. Not much to see there. 
      I firmly believe the film would have been better off and more believable if only one or two focal points were used. That's my two cents. Take it or leave it.  Aside from the director's style, the film was very straightforward. Prior to entering the theater, please check your brain at the appropriate counter. All the answers to any questions that arose were answered almost immediately, allowing the viewer to easily predict both the plot and the ending. However, if you are a person who likes a flick that attracts your attention only fifteen minutes before the cast names starts scrolling, then by all means, watch this movie. I found myself finally interested to what was happening on the screen only to find that there wasn't enough time for something well thought out to happen. Would I watch this movie again? Not even the slightest chance. Even though the movie was only about an hour long, it was approximately forty five minutes of absolute boredom. With that time, I could have done three extended Extemporaneous Compounding problems. I would have hated every minute of it but at least I would have been satisfied after I completed them.

2 comments:

  1. I've never watched Apollo 18, but then again, I tend to watch chick flicks, sooooo.

    After reading your review, I feel disappointed too. The plot seems cool and it could have been made into a good movie.

    P.S Regarding your comment, which I'm assuming is about China's suicide rate (and not my opinion of myself, ha), I guess I should have added a disclaimer. I was definitely joking and I apologize if you found it offensive. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't find it too offensive. If I did, I probably wouldn't have commented on it. You don't have to apologize to me or anyone else for what you wrote, it's your space. Nonetheless, it's easy for somethings to get lost in translation when the reader doesn't really know your style of writing. So the fault lies with me for not picking up the humor.
    That aside, it would be better off if you did watch a chick flick in place of this movie. I dislike it when directors and producers are given great ideas and then they proceed to make an empty movie. Afterwards, they make three to four sequels to this movie, spoiling their time in making an original one. Then the cycle repeats itself.

    ReplyDelete