Movie Reviews

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

      When have you ever seen a chick flick last for more than an hour and a half? It's understandable, there's only so much a writer can put in this type of movie before the viewer starts to get bored. Now, combine a flick that lasts for almost two hours and had Steve Carell playing the lead role and what do you get? Actually, a decent movie. I'm going to be completely honest and say that I like this movie. I paid no mind to this movie when I passed its title in the suggestions box several times. This is because Mr. Dunder Mifflin was in it. I can't stand his movies. I hated "Date Night" and his other movies simply fail to impress me. The only reason that I gave this movie a chance was because of the band "Muse" who lit up its trailer with their song, Starlight. I made up my mind in an instant. "Muse" supports them so why should I care who's in it? Hook, Line, and Sinker. Geniuses.
      Glenn Ficarra and John Requa's "Stupid Crazy Love" tells the intriguing story of two men who learn that love is not what they originally thought it was. Cal, Carell, is a cautious husband who is trying to cope with his wife desire to end their of twenty five year strong marriage. While Jacob, played by Gosling, is a womanizer with a story of his own, who takes special interest in Cal's situation. Through comical scenes and a plot twist, that you won't even see coming, both characters show that love is not for amateurs. Surprisingly, Carell, who I thought could never play a serious role without making a fool of himself, showed some signs of talent and maturity as he sold me some weighty scenes. Proving himself to be an ace in all sides of the board, Gosling, paired with Emma Stone, lifted the movie with his overflowing charisma and wit.
      Don't get me wrong, I don't love this movie. In all chick-flicks there are turnoffs. The remnants of ancient unoriginal lines, smack-dab in the middle of pensive scenes, that should have been long forgotten by now are still around crashing the box office. The presence of unnecessary slow motion scenes that, at their best, made a negative impact on the story's fluidity is yet another issue. Take these two factors out of the picture and I would have watched the movie a second time but as it is right now, I'm happy to just say I've seen it. So take my word for it and give it a shot. It'll lead you to believe that one day, even if it takes dating all the wrong people to get there, you'll find the person that you won't mind talking till sunrise with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment