Movie Reviews

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Help

      I am a thriller genre kind of guy. I like thriller movies and action packed books that could I cruise through at sixty miles per hour. But recently, I took it upon myself to launch myself out of my comfort zone and into a deeper genre. Yesterday, I struck gold with "The Help", based on Kathryn Stockett's book and directed by Tate Taylor. Don't be surprised to see the name of this movie multiple times on the 2012 Oscar nomination ballot. You heard it here first.
     "The Help" takes us back into the 1960's, where the idea of African Americans being treated as equals disturbed a large portion of the white community in their sleep. Place a young white woman, who had enough of the oppression, in the mix and you get one inspiring movie. Taylor did a great job in making the gravity of the situation flow smoothly with a good amount of witty humor. The story was serious but with just the right hint of comedy to keep your lips ready to crack a smile but fist armed and loaded to pulverize the closest wall.
     Both Viola Davis and the jovial Octavia Spencer thrived in their respective roles as housemaids. Although Emma Stone, the quick mouthed journalist, may have seemed like the main protagonist but these three characters played roles of equal and important value. The musical score embedded within the scene was subtle but it quietly spurred within me a desire to start mouthing off at Bryce Dallas Howard for being a pain in the ass. All in all, a must watch movie that will not disappoint.
     On that note, I will now be heading into the depths of New Jersey to spend a couple of nights with some faces I haven't seen in a long time; the church folks. I'll be back on Sunday.
 
     

3 comments:

  1. There is no doubt that Emma Stone lit a match in Jim Carrey's heart after he watched this movie. Here's a video he posted on youtube just for Stone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9lPEP2mGWw&feature=topvideos_mp

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, the video's gone. damn. but yeah... great movie.

    I'm glad you mentioned all three "leads", because after watching this I felt like Octavia Spencer stole many scenes, if not the whole movie, and until you mentioned her name I didn't know it. I hope she isn't as overlooked come Oscar time (Best supporting actress, maybe?)

    And yeah, BDH was a bratty little thing. Wish someone would smacked that southern belle smugness right outta her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e5qfcbtfEI
    I personally thought that Octavia Spencer was freaking hilarious. "Eat...my...shit." God, I couldn't stop laughing. After this movie, I definitely wouldn't put it past her to grab an Oscar. BDH got what she rightfully deserved in the end, a full stomach.

    ReplyDelete