Movie Reviews

Friday, August 12, 2011

India Trip Day 3: Agra!

        "Man, I woke up four times already and I can't go back to sleep. This is not good because it's going to be one long site-seeing day. There is a very good chance that in the middle of all of this my feet are going to give. Hopefully the adrenaline rush kicks in and I won't have to deal with that problem. It's going to have to be one hell of an adrenaline rush though. I'm excited but the tour guide seems a bit boring. I think he's more of a driver than a tour guide. We'll see how this pans out. But today it's the very historic Agra and tonight we a new hotel to stay at. Now, what's for breakfast?
        Grumpiness in the AM runs in the family. But, I knew this was going to happen. If I go on a trip with the parents, dealing with attitude problems is a given. The first thing I hear in the morning is both my parents arguing about something. I couldn't help but look at my sister and shake my head in disapproval. I get grumpy in the mornings too but I know this is a vacation so I let things slide. What are they doing? It's like I never left home. Sigh.
        On the road, its only been an hour and I have to tell you, I haven't seen anything so beautiful like this in years. Let me change that. I haven't ever seen anything so beautiful. Sweet rain on miles and miles of greenery and trees. Beautiful land, beautiful India. I do wish I could get some sleep in though. It's a long ride but I can't seem to get into a comfortable position but my sister is putting my shoulder in good use by using it as a pillow. Good for you.
         The Taj Mahal was freaking fantastic! I took so many pictures that my parents got a little mad at me. Supposedly, I was taking more pictures of the structure than I was of them. I became a legit badass with the camera in the prohibited zone, chyea. Supposedly, I can't take pictures of the inner sanctum containing both burial graves of Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz. There was just one site employee disciplining the crowd with his whistle if he sees them taking pictures. So what's the worst he's going to do? Can't wait to look back at these pictures. Later, I was told that Shah Jahan ordered the building's chief architect's hands to be removed so that he wasn't able to make another building like the Taj Mahal. That wicked yet lovable man. All this for his third wife, who died giving birth to their 14th child!
          Right now, I'm sitting in my second hotel, it's nice here but there was an unfortunate mix-up. The driver took us to another hotel first which I immediately fell in love with but later on we found out that our contract was changed last minute. I took a quick tour of the place before leaving. They had an awesome pool and a gym. Good god, a gym is what my body needs right about now. At the rate I've been eating, I should be leaving New Delhi with ten new friends, pounds. But this hotel isn't that bad, Hotel Aman. This place has a pool and a gym too which I am going to put to good use in the morning. I am in great need of a shower and a change of clothes right about now but we're going to head out. If it's got anything to do with shopping, I swear I'm staying in the air conditioned car till they're done. I had enough of market bargaining for today at the Taj Mahal. Some areas here are not government backed so the citizens are able to negotiate a price of a product. These workers are mad sneaky with their words and the way they deal with our money. They charge us four times more than what it's worth and expect us to believe them. But, they like everyone, are just trying to make a profit and they desperately need the money. If I was in their shoes, I'll be doing the same thing to catch a break. One trivial thing about the Taj is that it sits right in the middle of a very poor area. How can a structure like that be surrounded with this much poverty? But that's just the way it is.
         Oww...my stomach is going to rupture. So much food today but no regrets. Roti's and nans all day everyday baby. The last meal was awfully spicy so the aftereffects are just about to be felt. The pool and the gym closes at 10 so I just missed it but I'm going to hit it bright and early. God knows I need every gym visit I can get on this trip. Tomorrow Sikander Lodi Tomb! Tonight, hell.
         On another note, we're not here by ourselves. My dad's brother's wife and daughter are here with us. They are fluent in Hindi which is awesome to have around here. If you are a foreigner touring the area and the employees catch a sight of that, you will have to pay 200 rupees, which is the equivalent to about five US dollars. Eh...Not that bad, right? You know what a citizen has to pay? 10 rupees which is about 25 cents! So our cousins speak for us and get us in for 10 rupees each. What you know about that?
         Our cousin, Glency, is finally getting used to us. She was very quiet when she met us in the airport but now she just can't stop laughing. Her laugh is as contagious as it is weird, very. She laughs when absolutely nothing is happening. It is out of nowhere. Her brother is going to join us the day after tomorrow because he's currently in school right now. Getting to know him is going to be fun. Love it when family warms up to each other. It makes the trip that much better."

No comments:

Post a Comment